Clean-Up

2009-03-03

Rather than keeping other improvements from going in while the new data format is under development, I’m treating that as a separate branch and continuing on the existing codebase in parallel for now. A new style guide has been added, and the code itself improved to meet it. Highlights:

  • reformatted with three-space tabstops
  • all lines wrapped to fewer than 80 characters
  • modules imported within the objects requiring them
  • replaced the previously included カタルシス // Katarsis data with a much smaller, simplified sample dataset

Still Going…

2009-02-15

I know I’m long overdue for an update here… sorry! The project definitely isn’t dead, just a little slow at the moment. I’ve had very little spare time over the past year, and getting through the implementation for the new data model has been one of those boring things which has to get done before I feel like I can move forward adding any new features.

On that note, the example data loader is being refreshed with my work in progress on what will eventually become the data.py module. I’ve worked out most of the hiccups with recursive inheritance in data elements (check out the ancestors() and inherited() functions), but I still need to incorporate a short-circuited inheritance descender into the get() function. After that, the save routines need to be assembled, the code needs to be re-flowed and heavily commented, and then I should be ready to incorporate it into a new release without introducing any known regressions in functionality.

Stay tuned!

Improved License

2007-12-04

The previous BSD-like mudpy license has been replaced with the one used by the OpenBSD project. It’s modeled after the Internet Software Consortium’s, a two-clause BSD license removing language made unnecessary by the Berne convention. This new license is functionally identical to the old one, just more terse and openly recognized.

While I was at it, I made sure to correct the copyright dates on some of the files in the current release and add a copyright statement to any files previously lacking one.

New ASCII/ANSI Art

2007-11-15

I just wanted to drop a quick note in here, letting you know I’ve put together some improved ANSI-color ASCII art for the sample login and main menu in the current source. Check it out if you get a chance!

Maintenance Release

2007-10-07

I just fixed a handful of typographical errors in data and embedded text strings… nothing major. I’m still working separately through some of the more significant, architectural updates to the engine and data model, but I won’t be releasing that branch of the code until I have something which actually runs.